BACKGROUND & EDUCATION
I first became involved in this work because I wanted to help people who had been sexually, physically and emotionally abused. That journey led me to my role as a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, and Certified Sex Therapist.
Today, my education, training and experience make it possible for me to work with with virtually any matter related to sex, intimacy & relationships. Being a sex therapist is more than a job for me. I feel like it is my calling, a passion and my life’s work all wrapped up into one. I feel like I have the greatest job on earth, and when I am not seeing clients, you will generally find me doing research, writing, speaking, or educating.
I am very active both locally and nationally in the community of marriage counselors and sexuality professionals — That helps me stay current on the latest trends and resources. I am privileged to serve as the Rocky Mountain Section Leader for the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT). With more than 1,700 members, AASECT is the leading certification body for sex therapists throughout the world. The Rocky Mountain Section of AASECT that I lead includes Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming.
In addition to my primary work as a sex therapist, I’m also a Professor of Couples Counseling at the post-graduate level. I love my role as an educator and I’m delighted to play a tiny part in helping to prepare the next generation of clinicians.
I lead workshops as well. Over the past few years I have conducted workshops in more than two-dozen cities throughout the US, Canada and Mexico. I’ve also done diversity training for the federal government, including OSHA.
About once per month I get to lecture on college and university campuses throughout the state of Colorado including the University of Denver, the University of Colorado and Regis University.
I’ve served as an expert witness on matters related to sexuality, and I’ve appeared on countless radio and television programs including Playboy Radio. You may have seen me on Fox 31′s, “Everyday Show,” with Natalie and Chris who are two of the most professional and fun people I have ever worked with. I can’t say yes to everything, however I try very hard to be available to educate healthy and positive sexuality whenever possible.
- Alumnus of the Harvard Business School, OPM, Class of 1987
- Doctorate in Human Sexuality
- Master’s degree in Public Health
- License in Marriage & Family Therapy
- Post-graduate certification in Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Queer Family Systems
- Board Certified by the ABS and ACS
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIPS
- American Association of Sexuality Educators Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) www.aasect.org
- Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS) www.sexscience.org
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) www.aamft.org
- American Counseling Association (ACA) www.counseling.org
- National Coalition for Sexual Freedom (NCSF) www.ncsfreedom
- Community-Academic Consortium for Research on Alternative Sexualities (CARAS) www.caras.ws
- The World Professional Association for Transgender Health, Inc. (Formerly known as The Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association, Inc.) www.wpath.org
- Young Presidents Organization (YPO) www.ypo.org
- World Presidents Organization (WPO) www.wpo.org
- Harvard Alumni Association www.haa.harvard.edu
Click here to Dr. Cannon’s complete CV & Bio in PDF Form: Dr. Cannon’s Complete CV & Bio