BACKGROUND AND EDUCATION
I first became involved in this work because I wanted to help people who had been sexually, emotionally and physically abused. That calling started me on a journey that led me to my role as a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist and an AASECT Certified Sex Therapist & Supervisor. (Supervisor in the world of mental health is a formal mentoring process to help clinicians get licensed and or certified).
Today, my education, training, and experience make it possible for me to work with virtually any matter related to sex, intimacy, and relationships.
Being a sex therapist is more than a job for me. I feel like it is my calling, a passion, and my life’s work all wrapped up into one. I feel like I have the greatest job on earth and, when I am not seeing clients, you will generally find me supervising/mentoring, writing, speaking, or educating.
I am very active both locally, nationally and internationally in the community of sexuality professionals. This helps me stay current on the latest trends and best practices. I am privileged to serve as the Colorado Section Leader for the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT). With more than 2,200 members, AASECT is the leading certification body for sex therapists throughout the world.
Over the past few years I have conducted workshops in more than two dozen cities throughout the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. I’ve also done diversity training for the federal government, including OSHA.
In addition to my primary work as a sex therapist, I’m also a teacher at the graduate and post-graduate level. I love my role as an educator and I’m delighted to play a tiny part in helping to prepare the next generation of clinicians. About once per month, you will find me guest lecturing on college and university campuses throughout the state of Colorado, including the University of Denver, the University of Colorado, Metropolitan State University, Front Range Community College, and Regis University. I am also grateful to be an instructor a The University of Michigan Sexual Health Certificate Program.
I’ve also served as an expert witness on matters related to sexuality, and I’ve appeared on countless radio and television programs, including Playboy Radio. You may have seen me on Fox 31’s Everyday Show where I appeared regularly for several years. I can’t say yes to everything. However, I try to be available to provide education for our community.
- Alumnus of the Harvard Business School, OPM, Class of 1987
- Doctorate degree in Human Sexuality
- Master’s degree in Public Health
- Post-graduate certification in Marriage & Family Therapy
- Post-graduate certification in Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Queer Family Systems
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIPS
- Certified Sex Therapist & Supervisor, the American Association of Sexuality Educators Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) www.aasect.org
- Clinical Fellow, the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) www.aamft.org
- The Society for Sex Research & Therapy (SSTAR) http://www.sstarnet.org/
- National Coalition for Sexual Freedom (NCSF) https://www.ncsfreedom.org.
- Community-Academic Consortium for Research on Alternative Sexualities (CARAS) www.caras.ws
- YPO Gold (YPO/WPO) www.wpo.org
- Harvard Alumni Association www.haa.harvard.edu